Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My Onbu/Mei Tai Design

Okay, I'm not going to do a detailed tutorial on here because I haven't taken pictures throughout the process and I don't really have the time-if you want this to work right it will require quite a bit of measuring and marking (trust me, it will look funny and fit wrong if you try to eyeball it!). But I was trying to describe my carriers in response to a post on slingsewing and I figured a picture is worth a thousand words, so here goes. This is my onbu design, which is still a work in process (it's my first onbu), but it should give you a good idea (I don't have one of my mei tais around because I keep making them for other people). And I apologize in advance, because the pictures are terrible.




I begin by making the straps, which are 3" wide on this model, but I will make 3.5"-4" wide next time. They are padded from the edge of the body to about 20" (Note: If you are making an onbu, make sure the padding won't go through the straps, because it's irritating! Ask me how I know this.) I baste the padding (I use either fleece or high loft batting) across the entire width of the wrong side of the strap piece. Then I fold over, sew all around, turn inside out, iron and topstitch around entire strap, except end, which will be hidden under the waist strap. I also do a stitch down the center of the batting, but it's probably not really necessary. The waist strap for the mei tai is similar-except it is one solid piece and I leave an opening to insert the body, ironing the raw edge down 5/8" on the opening. I pad the waist straps from the edge of the body to about 8". On both straps I taper from the edge of the batting to the end of the strap, only by about 1/2" to 1" (I would have to check my pattern, to be honest), just to reduce a little bit of bulk. I also add loops on the straps for the hood to tie up, but I usually do these last.

I create the body in a similar fashion, by basting padding (only one layer) on the hood area, adding hood ties, then sewing the two fabrics right side together, turning inside out and ironing, and topstitching around edge. I usually machine quilt a design that matches the fabric onto the hood area, but usually only when I'm making one for someone else (what can I say, I'm lazy!). If you look closely, you can see a large flower quilted onto the hood. Then I sew on the waist straps-I sew right over the topstitching on the straps to sew them to the body, and I also add an additional box at the top for strength. Next I attach the waist strap, sliding the body into the waist strap "envelope" I created. It requires some meticulous pinning and careful sewing at this point to ensure that the "line" for your waist strap is even and that when you do the "topstitching" it is an even distance from the edge of the strap fabric. I "topstitch" on the top and bottom, and again add boxes on either side to reinforce. The last step is to create some "loops" and attach them to your straps for the hood ties and you are finished! Clear as mud?

I make this pattern because it's sturdy and I like the look of the straps crossing on the outside. BUT, you must have a sturdy machine, because by the end you will be going through several layers. Also-you are going to need a couple of yards of fabric for the one piece waist strap and the shoulder straps-so it's probably not the most economical design (though I have been able to get straps for two carriers out of one 60" wide piece, so there's no waste). I usually use a bottomweight (I've really liked a good heavy china twill) for the straps and inner body, and just a cotton for the outer, patterned piece of the body.

Please feel free to comment with any questions and I will try to answer them (leave your email or contact me at daholliday@msn.com if you would like me to email you back).

2 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

OK, so which style is the one we saw you using in July? It was Brown with big orange and red and yellow flowers (I think). I remember the rings, does that mean it was not a mei tai? I am SO bad at reading directions on the computer, if I ever get around to trying this I will have to have my stuff out and probably call you... but I probably won't ever get around to it...

Adrienne said...

Yes, this is the one I made in July. Because it has rings instead of waist straps it is an onbuhimo (kind of a mouthful, ain't it?). If you ever get around to doing this give me a call and I'll get MY stuff out to take exact measurements. I know what you mean, I have a couple I need to be working on right now!